Monday, December 11, 2006

Safety Concerns

Only 9 more days left before the winter break, and I'm supposed to give a lesson on drug and alcohol awareness and safety. Not only am I wondering when I'll have time, I'm also wondering what I have to offer these kids in a district where 20 high-school girls were raped one year over winter break; where junior-high boys were found naked in a ditch, after having been drugged and raped; and where a little girl was sleeping on her roof rather than in her house to protect herself from the dangers that were going on indoors.

What do I say? Keep your drink with you at all times? Have an escape route?

I think I'm going to have the kids write a journal entry about these concerns and issues, and then the next day, I'll lead a discussion about the possible situations that scare them and how they can be avoided or prevented. It's about all I feel qualified for here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home