Thursday, November 16, 2006

Teaching Kids to Read

Has anyone read I Read It But I Don't Get It: Comprehension Strategies for Adolescent Readers by Chris Trovani? Curious as to what teachers think of this book and how it may compare to Kylene Beers's When Kids Can't Read: What Teachers Can Do, which has been a helpful book for me in many ways. Teaching reading is tough, and it's not something a student of secondary English education thinks s/he will have to do. By seventh grade, kids can read, right?

Wrong! I have several eighth graders with such poor recognition, fluency, and automaticity problems that they have trouble sounding out three-letter words. And NONE of my students are labled as special need or "sped" as it's called here in AZ (which was a shock to my NY years). If they are "sped," they're not in my classroom.

So, if anyone has read this book, let me know what you thought of it. I need all the help I can get!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home