Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Busted!

Yesterday, I told my students that they could draw while I read aloud, but they were not to write notes. One student was writing notes, and so I confiscated her notebook. While perusing it today, I discovered that she did another student's short story assignment. So I gave him a zero for cheating, and of course, I have the proof to back me up.

I don't feel bad about busting the kid for cheating. But (yes, there's a but) I feel bad about taking notes and reading them and using them as evidence. Ugh! Is this ethical? Is this fair? Sometimes I feel like a giant hypocrite; I used to write notes ALL THE TIME in school, and did it really hurt me? But then, I never got caught. Or, I never got caught twice.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hee hee, i can remember, in 2nd grade, you getting moved to a desk that had no one sitting on any of the 4 sides of you to keep you from talking and passing notes. I think that behavior is expected from kids, just as confiscating and logically punishing is expected of teachers. how else will they learn how NOT to get caught;)
-erin

2:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is punish a harsh word? logical consequences sounds better...

3:02 PM  
Blogger Jessica said...

Wow, I don't remember that 2nd grade bust at all. Was I actually a rebellious little demon and choose to remember myself as having been a little angel?

And yes, I like "logical consequences" better.

3:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

not a rebellious little demon at all - or at least if you were, i was too. i'd say you were - are? -creative, lively, and liked to share those things with others - probably part of the reason that you're a teacher now!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home