Saturday, December 16, 2006

Lock-In

Here I sit, bleary eyed, a big mug of coffee in front of me, at 9 a.m. on a Saturday morning for Saturday School. Not such an ungodly hour, but last night was (what I'm considering labelling in the newsletter and yearbook) the First Annual Canyon Day Junior High Lock-In.

As far as I know, it went off without any major problems. Around fifty kids showed up between seven and eight last night, and they were locked in until seven this morning. I volunteered early (pre-the coordinator's motivational speech to the teachers), so I got the 7-10 shift. But because the coordinator and my fellow Language Arts teacher and friend was suffering from a fever, his girlfriend and I walked back here at one and hung out for about an hour and a half, making sure everything was okay while he went home to get at least a bit of a cat nap.

The fact that the lock in was a success bodes well for our school, and I think I will write an article for the Apache Scout (a local newsletter) to congratulate student council on a successful and fun lock-in. Even the chaperones had fun. There was a country dance (I had an eighth grader ask me to dance and did! Haha!), movies, games, enough pizza to feed everyone three times over, and an open gym (many of the kids played basketball for about six hours straight). If (and I wasn't there for the whole thing, but I'm guessing this is the case) no one got caught smoking glass or pot (there were quite a few pot busts this week), drinking, or having sex...well, it'll just prove that our kids are great and improve the opinion that our school is a nice, safe place to be.

I felt a strong desire to be here with the kids, because of something I found out yesterday that underscores how rough life is here for most of them. Last night, I was talking about it with the counselor and she said, "You know, I believe it was the Quakers who were one of the first to say not to give alcohol to Indians, that it was alcohol that would finish them off. But it's not alcohol. It's meth."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i was in the student coucil with mr. barns and hes such a butthead dork lol and yeah i wen tto the lock-INN lol

4:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home