Friday, December 15, 2006

Film Makers Visit CDJH


Yesterday, I had Dyanna Taylor visit my class, briefly. She's a cinematographer who shot "Homeland: Four Portraits of Native Action," "The Missing," and most recently, "North Country." For "North Country," she worked with Niki Caro, the writer of the screen play and director of the film adaptation of Whale Rider.

Our students finished reading the novel recently (many secretly weepy-eyed in their books) and are now watching the film. Taylor stood in the back of my classroom, beaming to see the students watching this film (She repeatedly stated what a great film it is.). She didn't stay long enough to talk to my class or much to me (I think she had to rush off to an unexpected shoot), but today I found out that she's going to try to get Niki Caro to come in! And she seems to think that Niki Caro would love to visit us!

How awesome would that be?

Not to mention the connection to Dyanna Taylor herself. It would be cool to show part of "Homeland" to the students and have her come in and talk about the filming of the movie and her job as a camera operator/cinematogropher and life in the movie biz. We could also discuss the theme of native action and ways that it is necessary right here on this rez: What problems need attention here? (So many.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home