Thursday, February 14, 2008

More...

In the past four days at school, we've had at least 4 fights (that we know of). I asked my 7th graders today if they felt safe here, and most of them said no, they did not. When asked where they felt the least safe, they said in the hallways, in the 8th grade wing.

They asked me why I came out to the rez, if I carry a gun, and if I feel safe living here. I don't carry a gun, and of late, I don't feel safe living here. Gang violence, rape, and drug dealing were such problems at the high-school basketball games that they had to move them to Saturday afternoons rather than Friday nights. Ambulences take forever (a few weeks ago, I called for ambulence here at school, reporting possible head injury, and the ambulence took close to half an hour to arrive. The hospital is only 10 miles away.). And if anything ever did happen to me, I would be powerless to prosecute or sue (especially because I'm considered a visitor here). We have a student who's abused by her father, but CPS is terrified of her father, a known yet free murderer. The police are corrupt and not interested in prosecuting. Is this cultural? Or is it just a matter of having the right last name? I'm not sure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home